Noble. Courageous. Intelligent. Handsome. No, it's not a human. That's a German Shepherd for you.
These dogs have a double coat that keeps them warm. This breed of dogs used to work in the cold and chilly mountains, hence, a double coat. The outer coat is dense, straight, and coarse with flat hair. The inner coat is softer and also thicker when compared to the outer one. Around the neck, the coat is thick and long.
German Shepherds are also known as “German Shedders.” This is because they shed a lot, that too twice a year. Hence, they need proper grooming and brushing thrice a week and twice a day during shedding seasons.
Best Dog Brush for German Shepherds
Why do German Shepherds need brushing?
German Shepherds have loads of fur, and they shed very frequently. They have a thick coat that makes it tough to bathe it regularly. Shedding lets new hair to grow and remove old and damaged hair. These hair often hide in their coat. So, brushing is required.
Grooming is important to prevent the dog's coat from becoming matted. Grooming helps check for any lumps, parasites, or sore patches. It removes any loose or dead hair from its coat. Brushing makes its coat look shiny and healthy.
Daily brushing is required, and it is important to lower the shedding in German Shepherds. However, its coat is rich in a lot of natural oils. Therefore, it is just okay to give it a bath once 4-5 months.
Massaging the dog’s coat through grooming helps promote healthy blood circulation to the hair. Hence, it becomes important to brush it with the best brush. Grooming also makes the bond stronger between the owner and the dog.
This handsome dude could be a big problem to its owner, who is allergic to dog hair if it is not brushed daily. Hence, they need brushing on a regular basis.
There are a variety of good brushes available for German Shepherds. Let us look into them and find out the best one.
Features to look out for the best brush for a German Shepherd
A good brush acts as a de-shedding tool for the dog. Hence, it should be selected wisely. There are various types of brushes like – comb, basic brush, de-shedding tool, slicker brush, de-matting tool, gloves, etc.
- The Furminator is one of the best brush available and removes almost 90% of the loose inner hair. It is made up of stainless steel and comes in five sizes – small to giant. It comes with a self-cleaning fur rejector as well.
- The Slicker brush is another gem of a tool. Instead of using a de-shedding tool every time, you may use a slicker brush instead. It has bent and refined bristles.
- Pin and Bristle is also a handy tool to loosen the inner coat and give a shiny texture to the outer coat.
- De-matting tools are perfect for detangling knots.
- Combs are ideal for long coated shepherds.
- De-shedding tools prevent excessive loss of fur.
- Gloves are useful for cleaning the skin or coat.
Short coat shepherds need 2-3 tools. Medium coated are fluffier and require more grooming. The long-coated ones need the most grooming and care. They need 3-4 tools.
All the above brushes and tools are hence necessary and the best tools to groom a German Shepherd.
The German Shepherds are Royal in all ways. They do need proper grooming with proper tools. After all, your lovely and adorable pet deserves the best care and attention. So, pick the perfect brush for your German Shepherd and keep the above mentioned points in mind!